Saturday 13 April 2013


Yesterday we visited Charleston Farmhouse. It's been on my radar as a place I'd like to visit for a while. It completely exceeded what were already high expectations. I felt energised by the creativity of the Bloomsbury set. It seemed not only were they very talented they just did stuff. Constantly painting and creating. I loved Vanessa Bell's make do and mend attitude, creating lampshades from old blouses and a macramé radiator cover in the sitting room. The impression I got was they just had a totally fabulous creative time. 

The visit reminded me of how touched I'd felt when Paul painted this portrait of me as a birthday present, it was the first birthday we'd spent together. When I unwrapped it I had tears in my eyes because I felt so touched that Paul had wanted to paint a picture of me. 

I've been painted once before by a friend Martin. I met Martin & Keith about 12 years ago whilst working on Eastenders. They lived in North London like I did, so I used to often pop over for a cuppa tea and a chat. I didn't ever see the picture finished as Martin tragically died. I still think about Martin and what a shock it was that he went so quickly. I only knew Martin briefly but I'm sending a thought out to those who knew him well.



No comments:

Post a Comment